Wednesday, April 03, 2013

C is for Chihuahua Desert

C is for the Chihuahua Desert where I live. Named after the Mexican city and state of the same name, it extends into West Texas and New Mexico. Sunshine abounds here, but rain does not. In 2006, our first year in southern New Mexico's Las Cruces, we had such a heavy rainfall that we thought our new house would be flooded. And then in 2007, we had virtually not a drop all year. Much of the country has suffered from the last few years of drought, but the Southwest has been hit especially hard. But my, give it just a bit of water and the desert can be beautiful.

Poppies in bloom in the Chihuahua Desert,
looking toward the White Sands Missile Range

8 comments:

Rosalind Adam said...

You live in a desert? Wow! That's so different from my life in a built up city in the middle of the UK. I love those poppies.

Rosalind Adam is Writing in the Rain

Unknown said...

I like the sound of Chihuahua. But no rains feels like terrible to me -being a rain lover.

Bob Sanchez said...

Oh, I love the rain too. Monsoon season is late summer, and the rain is all the more welcome for its rarity.

Dani said...

I tackling D is for Drought tomorrow! News From Nowhere

Dani said...

I'M in editing mode which means I can't string three words together without error in my own writing. LOL.

Marian Allen said...

Beautiful photograph! It's very different from the leafy green woods of Indiana, too. :)

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

Unknown said...

Love the blooming desert :)

Maryannwrites said...

Gorgeous picture. I can't believe that some people don't think the desert can be beautiful.