Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Cover art for One Must Die

Here's my novel's new cover, designed by the talented El Paso artist Maritza Neely. I asked her to combine three basic elements: death, Cambodia, and America to suggest the novel's tone and subject matter. The temple is Angkor Wat, which readers won't have to recognize to know that it's Asian.

The manuscript is complete and has been so for years. Once it had a willing small publisher who--alas!--decided to get out of the business. Now with low-cost publishing options like CreateSpace, I'm publishing it myself, with my greatest expense being a reasonably priced cover design. My goal is to publish on both CreateSpace and Kindle by the end of the year--easy enough if I shift around a couple of priorities.

I think people will like One Must Die, not that I'm objective. There is culture conflict, a likable protagonist, and a slant on a cop story that you probably haven't seen before.

If you'd like to work with Maritza yourself, you can contact her at http://www.maritzajauregui.com/studio.

11 comments:

monideepa sahu said...

this looks great. I'm excited :-) way to go!

Patricia Stoltey said...

Bob, the cover art is very impressive. I think you made a good choice of artist.

Sherry Gloag said...

Awesome cover, Bob. She has encapsulated everything you,ve asked for.
Best wishes with your book's future.

Unknown said...

Ah, yes. A well-spent dollar, this cover design. Very, very nice.

Amanda Borenstadt said...

That looks great!

Helen Ginger said...

I like the cover, Bob. It's very professional looking.

N. R. Williams said...

Very nice cover Bob. I'm following you now. I have no idea why I didn't follow you sooner. If you need help uploading your book to kindle there are some fellows in Denver who I met through an RMFW function. They run Essential10.com and take a word doc. transfer it to kindle requirements and up load it for you. They charge $99.00 and take 10% royalty. Much better than an agent will do at 20% and no help with e-publishing. Their business used to be for small print but they have recently opened it to genre fiction. I plan to use them because they will also track your book and keep reloading so it stays current. Also a fellow author did a study and found that even when he offered his book for $1.00 the copy he advertised for $2.99 did better. Same book. At $2.99 we get 70%.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Morgan Mandel said...

Looks very professional and covers the elements you want people to perceive. Great job.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Nice cover, Bob!

Dani said...

Looks good,Bob! Maybe we'll have some good tips at the Blood-Red Pencil blog later in the month. Ebooks is our theme.

Bob Sanchez said...

Thanks everyone. Trying to design my own cover certainly showed me my limits. I've seen other work by the artist, so I knew she's talented.

Dani, I'll be looking for the ebook tips. So far I've seen it done both well and poorly.