Monday, May 10, 2010

Cuddling my new iPad

A couple of weeks ago, I bought an iPad at the Apple store in Albuquerque. Was it worth the money? Oh, that's probably the wrong question. It's a bright, shiny grownup's toy that entices the shopper with its utter and shameless sexiness. Walk past the display model and you can almost hear it coo, ooh, baby...take me home...stroke your fingers on my interface...

They were out of stock on the $400 model, and I had to act while my resistance was low. So my wife and I walked out of the store $500 poorer but feeling oh-so twenty-first century.

People, myself included, seem to be buying these machines based mainly on their potential. A certain number of applications come with it, such as the Safari browser, email, a notepad, a calendar; other apps are free or modestly priced. Nota bene: so far, all of this duplicates functionality already on my laptop. I purchased a Sudoku game and use it a lot, but could have kept playing on my laptop for free. There is a free app that lets me read all my Kindle purchases in an appealing display, but I already own a Kindle. I can upload photos and music, but I already use my laptop for that. There's an iBook app I don't use yet because my Kindle books won't transfer over. Other apps exist, but they are still relatively few.

So I ask myself, potential for what? Simply for the uses I haven't thought of, the surprises developers will dream up.

Meanwhile, it's hard to see the iPad fulfilling any immediate need that my other gizmos can't satisfy quite well. I love it, but so far it's mostly an expensive Sudoku-playing machine.

Redundancy, anyone?

6 comments:

Carter said...

I played with one at the Apple store the other day, and was tempted. But I'm what might be called a "late adopter." I want to give them time to come out with iPad 2.0, and then I'll probably get one.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

LOL! See I didn't buy a Kindle or Nook because I was waiting for the iPad.

I just like the fact that it will be a scaled down version of my laptop. Much lighter.

Bob Sanchez said...

Scaled way down, Brooke. No word processing ability, no keyboard, a number of things you can't do on the iPad. And I hope you like Safari, because that's the only browser it supports.

Ruth L.~ said...

I will wait awhile longer... but I suspect not too long. I'm looking to what else might come of it, and for the price to drop as it will.

Christina Rodriguez said...

Once they can run Photoshop on that thing, I'll probably HAVE to buy one. Such great potential for digital painting and drawing!

Virginia winters said...

I'm waiting for the price to come down and the functionality up before I buy the ipad, but I do love my Apple toys. I'm using a Kobo reader at the moment, however. It comes with 100 free books, including Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone which I hadn't read before and enjoyed tremendously. I'm reading through all of Jane Austen's, also included in the 100.
Safari is very, very slow, since its new update.