Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A hopeful prognosis for George

George, doing what he does best

We learned today that our five-year-old Bengal cat George has a defective mitral valve and hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy, which the vet tells us will shorten his life. Lately George has had a few seizures and lacks the energy he used to have, when no shelf was too high, no breakable item quite safe from a swat of his paw. He'll be going on a beta blocker, and his prognosis is "fair to good." Many cats survive only months with symptoms like his. We're hoping for him to have the best outcome possible.

We've been speculating that his life span may be shorter than his twin sister Gracie's, but we will be grateful for whatever time we have with him. Even without his full former spunk, he's a joy.

8 comments:

Carter said...

Pets die, and it's always a tragedy--they're members of the family. Let's hope George keeps on going as long as he can. My sympathies to you.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about George. He looks like a darling, awesome cat. I'm glad he gets to enjoy the rest of his feline life, no matter how long or short, with loving people like you.

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

My sympathies too. Enjoy your time with George.

(Comment 2 there looks like spam -- I don't think I'll click that link! ;-) )

Patricia Stoltey said...

It's so hard when our pets get sick. I hope George hangs in there in relative comfort.

Anonymous said...

Pets are family memebers. Our Yorkie Beau is on his last legs, and I feel your pain. Here's to a miraculous recovery for George.

Stephen Tremp

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

What a beautiful cat. I hope he responds to the treatment.

Adele said...

He's gorgeous. Cat's become such a huge part of our homes. Best wishes to you all.

Ruth L.~ said...

He's a beautiful boy, Georgie is. And I know what this feels like for you...