Sunday, June 07, 2009

RV trip, day 10: Moab, Utah

Sunset outside the OK RV park, Moab, Utah

Moab, Utah was only a two-hour ride from Grand Junction, and it sits in the middle of spectacular rocks evocative of Sedona, Arizona. We didn't do much this afternoon besides a bit of grocery shopping and a short spin in the direction of Dead Horse State Park before deciding it was too late in the day. Lately I've been reading Giles Keppel's Beyond Terrorism and Martyrdom and trying to finish it in time to write my review for The Internet Review of Books. I'm almost done.

In the next couple of days we'll visit Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, both within a few miles of Moab.


A pair of buttes nicknamed the Monitor and the Merrimac.
(Which is which? You decide.)

Incidentally, the other day iUniverse sent me cover copy for the Star edition of When Pigs Fly. Now that I've approved it, they plan to create a new cover. I'm curious to see what they come up with—I am partial to the existing one, but they say a new cover is standard procedure with their Star editions.

2 comments:

Carter said...

You know that pic down below at Colo. Nat'l Monument of people standing on the edge of a cliff? No way I'd get near that edge. In fact, I think I'll avoid the whole place.

As for that Monte Cristo sandwich you ate, the cuisine is better in Denver. :-)

The guy with the money under his pillow is in for some rude shocks, unless it's gold coins. Sad.

And I hope the new book cover is as good as the last one.

You're having a great trip, it seems--drive carefully! We need you.

Carter

MoabUtah said...

Hi Bob,
Next Utah trip, RV in the four corners and follow another tale, "Very Hard Way: Bert Loper and the Colorado River". You could review it too, as you refered to with day 10. The small mining towns of Colorado currently insinuate the feel of the mining times of Bert Loper and Bluff, Utah, well you will just have to make time for a San Juan River trip to see how Bert's life love of river running was launched. ~ I like rivers myself, and adored this book. I really believe it is a great companion or, even, inspiration, for another Colorado-Utah trip.
Michele